
As I was doing my daily blogstalking I came across a friends blog who has a link to Stephanie Nielson's blog, The NieNie Dialogues. In August her & her husband were in a horrible plane accident & were severely injured. If I remember correctly, Stephanie had burns to 80% of her body and her husband 30%. They have 4 children who are now being taken care of by family in Utah while she and her husband are recovering in a hospital in Arizona. Anyway, I found this quote there...
"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
That describes perfectly one of my biggest fears. It is so easy to get in this rut while raising a family. Everything is on a schedule & if you fall off that schedule life seems to become so much harder! As I read about Stephanie & her family it makes me want to say SO WHAT to that schedule...how much am I actually missing out on my children!! I will have plenty of time to clean & do laundry when they are grown!
"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).
That describes perfectly one of my biggest fears. It is so easy to get in this rut while raising a family. Everything is on a schedule & if you fall off that schedule life seems to become so much harder! As I read about Stephanie & her family it makes me want to say SO WHAT to that schedule...how much am I actually missing out on my children!! I will have plenty of time to clean & do laundry when they are grown!








2 comments:
So I am sitting here thinking I should get a schedule and schedule time to play with my kids!! Ha ha! This is so way too true. I have to go play now. Bye!
I've seen that blog to, I visit it often. It makes you stop and think. I miss it... Whatever it is!
Post a Comment